Friday 23 August 2013

new directions

Moving to a completely different place has meant a lot of changes and compromises.
Of of these has been in my training. I have found some way to practice Tai Chi with other people, here, in addition to personal practice: it feels good to practice with other like-minded people. However, I have had to find a substitute for Push Hands practice as there's none here.
As someone told me once, things will come to you.
Walking on my way home one day I saw a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym. So I've started training there for not quite 2 months now. It was an opportunistic decision, as was my going to the Jeet Kune Do classes in Verona. I do no regret those decisions. The JKD experience (3 months) was great, good to become a little less apprehensive with punching and getting familiar with a different stance, getting to work on the kicks.
The BJJ is, of course, very different. There is still some training standing up, where throws, sweeps and trips can be done, but all with grips...... That makes a major difference with Tai Chi, since that is characterized by a NO-grip attitude, allowing for uninterrupted flow. The other obvious difference is the fact that it is a ground grappling art. However, for all that, I am realizing that enough principles of Tai Chi are applicable there (some of the times), though in a different form.
Keeping connected with your partner, being grounded, looking for  flow and following/redirecting are some that I can see, if not put into application myself.
I feel lucky to have found something that ties with what I am most interested in, and in a friendly atmosphere as well.  The students (and teacher) at the school are friendly and generous in sharing tips and understanding.
I will certainly try to make the best of my experience here.



On a very different note (although maybe not, as some meditative virtues are common to all of these), I have picked up my crochet again and needle. The lampshade is a simple conical tube in crochet that I have made on the go and which can be slipped on a small lamp I bought. I am quite happy with it. I used mercerized cotton with a size-2 hook. Three different patterns: 4 repetitions of first (from the top), then 2 repetitions, then almost one border. I didn't finish the complete pattern of the border as I liked it better with a round, soft ending. However, that meant that  the 5 petals were not yet connected. So I sewed a few turquoise pearls to link the petals of each motif.  The little bag is a variation on the 22 granny square bag. The motif for the granny square comes from a japanese book (Kawaï motifs, bought at Junku in Paris) linked after by chains.
The book is called: Kagibari de amu kawaii motif & komono, editeur Nihon Vogue Sha (ISBN : 9784529050142). Il est plein de motifs et projets très tentants.





Who needs a proper nightstand when you have tatami mats and futon? A simple box is all you need.







 And this the typical drink of the South: Ice Tea. That one is home made is is just tea + cold water, no sugar contrary to what people do here.








No comments:

Post a Comment